Walk Away

Photo: Andrea Fitzpatrick
My daughter was hurt yesterday. She was playing on the slide when a friend crashed into her causing her to hop up a little and hit her back on the side of the slide. When it comes to physical pain, Hope is tough and doesn’t cry easily, so when she came running to me in tears I knew it had to be a hard hit. Her little friend was not concerned in the least that she had harmed her. Even still, Hope defended her friend declaring that it was an accident. When the pain eased, Hope went to play again, but puzzlingly her friend wouldn’t speak to her. It was a painful thing to witness. Hope had done nothing wrong. She didn’t deserve this treatment. For the next fifteen minutes, I watched Hope chase after her friend (whom she adores) tearful and trying to talk and play, but her friend wouldn’t even look at her. She kept running off…

Hope was distressed by this and I did the only thing I could do. With her little hands in mine, I looked directly into her blue eyes and assured her that she had done nothing wrong. However, to my dismay, she cried, “But I feel like I did.” 

Why does it always feel this way when someone we love hurts us? Why do we assume that we’ve done something to deserve it? Through my daughter’s upsetting experience, I am reminded how cruel silence can be. How essential it is to not give our power to others by demanding their love and approval. How do we get to the place where we are confident in ourselves and not needy of affection? It’s a lifelong learning curve, I suppose. When we find ourselves chasing after someone, we must stop and remember that we have no idea why people suddenly close off their hearts. The onus is left on us to examine why we are reacting so strongly to another’s behaviour. To see how deep our attachments have become—sometimes so deep that we forget to honour and respect ourselves.

As I kissed the crescent-shaped bruise on my daughter’s lower back, I remembered how important it is to know when enough’s enough and to walk away for the day. We headed home to the comfort of bath time, books, and peanut butter toast with butter.