Vienna Waits for You

A couple of summers ago I was obsessed with the song “Vienna.” I watched a repeat of the film 13 Going on 30 (I know, I know) and it totally stuck out on the soundtrack.

The first record I ever remember listening to as a kid was The Stranger. The album cover freaked me out a bit. I don’t know why. Maybe because I was only four or five and Billy Joel looks sad (thoughtful) and there’s this clown-like mask... I still liked listening to that record though and I’d play it over and over. 

Man, I miss the sound of the needle just as you put it on the record. I haven’t heard that scratchy sound in a really long time.  Anyway, for some reason, “Vienna” has made its way into my consciousness again. Have a listen and let me know what you think.




Vienna” by Billy Joel, The Stranger, 1977.

Slow down you’re doing fine
You can’t be everything you want to be
Before your time
Although it’s so romantic on the borderline tonight

Too bad but it’s the life you lead
You’re so ahead of yourself
That you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you’re wrong
You know you can’t always see when you’re right

You got your passion you got your pride
But don’t you know that only fools are satisfied?
Dream on, but don’t imagine they’ll all come true
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

(partial lyrics)